A space to reflect on the university experience and the wider educational journey of life and love.

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Crime Scenes and Beaches

Life is full of surprises.

I woke up to another beautiful sunshine-y morning today, I stepped outside with my amazing suite mate Camille to go for breakfast.   I walked down the stairs and noticed police cars and yellow caution tape.  Suddenly more little placards with letters were around...evidence placards.  Yes folks, something fishy happened. I am probably not allowed to disclose what it was but from what I was told:

Last night (first weekend of the school year) it was major party central.  There was a fight involving people not from the university. Weapons were pulled out and people were hurt.

I am disheartened.  A little bit disappointed, but am comforted by the fact that something of this nature has never happened before.  The school also does a lot to promote safety,  we have a great program here called Safewalk, where you can get attractive people to walk you home if you are feeling afraid/unsure.  We also have RAs doing rounds regularly to make sure policies are enforced, and yes the university has strict policies surrounding alcohol, drugs, and parties. We are also given a wealth of resources, counselling, and places to relax.

I am glad those policies exist, though.

I hope this doesn't happen again.

On another happier note, I had a lovely day at the beach with my new friend from the Yukon, Kelly.  She is beautiful and we had a ton of fun today in the water and meeting new people.  I am thoroughly soaking up the new environment and loving meeting so many awesome faces.  Everyone here has a fascinating story to tell, and I rejoice in hearing them.  Especially in gorgeous places, and believe me, the valley we are in is absolutely stunning.

Thank you for that, university.  And please please keep us safe, healthy, and happy from now on.

-Emmy


http://www.freefoto.com/preview/28-31-4/Crime-Scene-Do-Not-Enter


http://bcadayatatime.com/2009/11/17/day-27-bare-it-all-on-wreck-beach/

No comments:

Post a Comment