A space to reflect on the university experience and the wider educational journey of life and love.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

The Sound of Settling


It's been a while.   The days gently melted into each other, much like the snow layering outside my window.  Life at university is starting to settle.  I am so happy with my courses this term (as you can read on earlier posts) and I am developing some wonderful connections with students, professors, and friends.  I am starting to feel like I am carving out a space for myself here at university and I have embarked on some new adventures including volunteering at the campus daycare and organizing and international fashion show.

That elusive community feeling that was so prevalent at my former school reaches me in gasps.  Sometimes I glimpse what it feels like to belong, but it's never there for long.   I hope with some time, I can find my community.

Sometimes I get this magical feeling.  It's hard to describe.  It's like this step-back-awareness that I am a real-life university student whose life is dedicated to learning, in an open, beautiful environment.  It's this sudden happiness for being where I am at this point in my life - everything just seems to click.  In those moments I feel grateful for life and all the abundance I have been blessed with. I wake up each day to a room and a roommate overflowing with peace and loving kindness.  A wonderful family, their unconditional love, brand new adventures on the horizon, and new friends around the corner - what more could I ask for?  I really mean it when I say I am grateful, I am grateful from my heart right down to my toes.

Sometimes we don't have to know where we are going.  We can just be content with what is.

---
Here's an on-the-moment poem:
---

The soil broke
And Life burst free.

Walking down an alleyway
Spring flowers overhead
I still hear the whispers of
Everything we said.
Life was easy then -
Chasing butterflies
Sun streaked skies,
We didn't even realize,
We left them all behind.

The sun begins to warm and
Ooze over the horizon,
Fondue over fruit.
The days follow suit.
Skies come, they go,
Endless flow
Of change.
It rained.

And what was, remains.
In the whisper of dawn
The drum beating on,
In the pages being turned
And the stories re-learned,
We find ourselves whole.

The water as it arrives
And away with the tide
With the sun and its glow
And the storm and the snow
I know it's all right,
I can welcome the night.

We breathe out, we breathe in
What will be,
What has been.
It is a letting go, a letting in,
A let's go!  There is a guide
In the skies, a power,
Pushing the path forward.
And I will walk.
I will try to follow the sky.








1 comment:

  1. SUCH a beautiful post, Emmy, keep writing and sharing your poems.. they warm my soul and inspire me to no end. Love you lots!

    ReplyDelete