A space to reflect on the university experience and the wider educational journey of life and love.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Intensity of Academia

Hey Folks!

Don't know who is hanging in there with me on this second, more humble attempt of a blog, but thank you for reading!  I guess the more unique setting of Pearson attracted lots of (UWC-interested) readers last time, but I'm unsure of how to make my university life sound more exciting and cutting-edge.   Have any ideas?  Haha.

Anyways thought I'd give you a run down on my amazing courses this term.  I am taking:

- International Politics (with a prof who supposedly works for the UN! And he's a UWC grad!)
- Indigenous Literature (English) with one of my all-time favorite profs
- Gender Studies - Race and Class - another incredibly intelligent prof
- Gender Studies - 2nd part of introduction - don't know her well, but cool prof too!
- Anthropology (Women in Cross-Cultural Perspective) with a prof who is taking a very different approach to learning which involves keeping a journal worth 25% of our mark!  I like!

As you can see, my courseload is a bit gender-heavy and very artsy but I adore pretty much all of the classes.   Recently though I've had some particularly engaging and thought-provoking discussions in said courses.

First, we discussed the slightly scary reality of modern day eugenics in my race, class and gender class.  We talked about the access to "designer babies" and the fact that apparently the US has outlawed red-headed men to donate sperm to the main sperm bank.   I find this terribly offensive.  Did you know that Canada and the US have very different legal approaches to sperm banks?  For example, in Canada it is illegal to get paid to donate sperm.  Also, we looked at the fascinating sector of gender studies that relate to reproductive technology and the dangers of manipulating genes.  Personally I think things always get a bit sketchy when we mess with nature too much!

Secondly, in my indigenous lit course we had a VERY heated conversation about Canada's identity in terms of First Nations (exuding to the rest of the world) as well as oral traditions being considered a form of literature.  Naturally the content of these conversations can easily get very disturbing, personal, and heavy as we do have people in the class whose families attended residential schools and are still impacted by the intergenerational trauma.  It is hard sometimes to separate people and ideas, but my peers did a great job of disagreeing respectfully.   Not to mention, our wondrous professor is talented at maintaining a sense of middle ground and compassion as she pretty much embodies compassion herself.   I find it incredible to be intellectually stimulated this term.  Instead of being the only person to speak, suddenly there are so many voices jockeying for attention that I sometimes get overlooked!  It's actually great to see!  

I guess taking second year classes was a good choice this semester.

Today I also got an endorphin high after my international politics course since it was so challenging and fascinating I was captivated the entire 90 minutes.  It was one of those classes (like a great movie) that you just didn't want to end.

So by now I must sound like a total nerd, so I will stop gushing over getting high off academics and the natural stimulants of intelligent conversation.

I guess it's my drug.

No comments:

Post a Comment