A space to reflect on the university experience and the wider educational journey of life and love.

Monday, January 16, 2012

Going "Home"

"Peace - that was the other name for home."  ~Kathleen Norris

Maybe we all have many homes.  Perhaps there are many places where we feel we belong, fitting like a snug jigsaw piece.  Maybe it's on the beach or in the forest or in our favourite room or in the arms of someone we love.  One home is not better than another, they all have the unique flavours of a certain time in our lives and we can appreciate them equally. We can feel thankful for the feeling of home that transcends physical location.

It's always a peculiar thing to walk over the footsteps of your past.   This weekend was magical, overwhelming, beautiful, and moving.    I went to a place that meant the world to me and talked with people I love from the bottom of my heart and lungs.  It was strange and familiar, an outsider in a place I go to every day in my mind.

 I felt the familiar peace, the smell of that wood place, surrounded by the sea.  These memories that are permanently stamped on my soul floated there, loaded in the present, and I felt the strange distance of time settling in my bones discreetly changing my direction. 

I am walking down the forest path and I am marvelling at the tall towering trees.  I am in awe of those grand beings, looking up and reaching down simultaneously.  I want to be like them.  I want to bundle up all the joy, community, and adventure that I experienced in those two years, make it a concentrate, and bottle it up for a rainy day.

I am sitting in front of beautiful eyes and smooth skin and the words between us are just pointers toward a much deeper connection, a beam shining into the other, a beam illuminating each of our hearts even more.

I am walking with the tides and I hear their reassuring constancy, cleansing the past, clearing the future, making the present.  I feel so at peace watching the sunlight ripple through the aquamarine depths.  Sitting on a chilly rock on a crisp day I am home.


2 comments:

  1. Emmy, this is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for describing a feeling which I think lives in most of us.

    ReplyDelete