A space to reflect on the university experience and the wider educational journey of life and love.

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

More Poetry on the Moment (unedited)

Marley is telling me to get up and stand up.
Sometimes I just want to curl into a tiny ball and wait for a rescue.
I want to be that damsel in distress, and wallow in salty tear bathwater.
And then I think of all those brave women out there
Who would die for the chance to curl into a ball in my world
Would die to be able to attend lectures I can choose to skip
Would die for a chance to open my books and read and read and read and read and read and read and read


Then all of a sudden I wake up from this trance and I dance
For them. I dance in this privileged place.  I open up the clouds and let the rain pour
And as the earth cries with me I can feel her chocolate smooth skin
 Holding my hand, and I glance at her ripped dress.
Her bed lacking a pillow.  I glimpse at my own bed with seven.
And for each of these blessings that somehow  were sent to me
I send a wish that life will send her a parcel of luck, of hope, of love.
I pray she will be treasured and not exploited.  That she gets the chance
To make her dreams come alive, that she is treated fairly, that she has enough
To eat.  Somewhere warm to sleep.  I pray that she gets to live and be a child.

Someday we will float together on a cloud, dear one.
You and I will hold hands again in a world that is equal and we will cry
Once more.  Not for your loss or my gain or my loss and your gain.  We
will weep because at last it is apparent that no matter the colour of our
skin or where we come from or the way we pronounce love, our hearts
beat in time to a melody that fills me from my toes to fingertips.
As the sun rays bounce of your eyelids I will smile
And know that everything is going to be okay.



* For Rose and Sara

No comments:

Post a Comment