A space to reflect on the university experience and the wider educational journey of life and love.

Thursday, February 27, 2014

New Buildings and Lost Views

I am watching the construction workers install the third floor of a building that is conveniently going up right in front of our apartment.  The crane is swinging in the air and I am cringing.  Before the new building was going up, every night I would fall asleep to a valley of lights.  We always left our living room curtains open so we could see the glimmering beacons in the distance.  Now all of that will be gone.

The new construction is reminding me of a few universal truths.  1) Change is the only thing that is certain.  2) We get easily attached to the way we want things to be.  There is nothing I can do as I stare out the window except be mopey and miserable.  Or I could not be mopey and miserable. I can't halt the construction.  So alas, it is better to surrender.  It is better to witness the change and flow with it instead of resisting.  I know this truth intellectually, yet a part of me still mourns for a loss. Yes I was lucky to have a view in the first place, yes, the mountains are still there...yes, I can find things to be grateful for.

On another note, I've missed teaching yoga lately.  I'm still struggling to establish my daily practice but I usually fit yoga in most days.  I've realized that it is a huge passion of mine.  Sometimes it takes distance for us to realize what we truly care about.

In other news, I had a lovely break with my family.  I am endlessly grateful for their unconditional love and support. My family has taught me what love means.

I wrote an article for the student newspaper about my trip to New Zealand, I will post it right after this one.  I am feeling everything come full circle these days. I am feeling content overall, even as buildings block the view....I guess we can choose what to focus on - the view that remains or the view that is gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment