A space to reflect on the university experience and the wider educational journey of life and love.

Thursday, December 26, 2013

A Christmas Walk and Other Simple Beauties

Every Christmas, my family goes on a walk.  It's pretty much our only tradition.  We usually walk in a different place each year, occasionally switching it up and going snow-shoeing or embarking on some other walking-related activity.  I like it because it's simple.  We don't give each other material gifts anymore or even have a tree and decorations, but we spend time together and share food, conversation, and fresh air instead.  To me, that's what Christmas is about - connection.  What are your thoughts on traditions and the material culture of Christmas these days?  How do you connect with those you love at this time of year?  What can we give that doesn't end up in the garbage? 

On a similar note, during my time off school, I began to volunteer at a very special coffee shop named Connections Coffeehouse in Burnaby.  Connections is also an initiative that is about relationships first, coffee (and other material goods) second.  It was the brainchild of a very inspiring woman named Brenda who believed that a gathering space was needed in her neighbourhood.  Connections is situated in a very densely populated high-rise neighbourhood where people would rarely reach out and connect to each other.  It's a non-profit coffeehouse run entirely by volunteers.  They serve excellent coffee (it's JJ Bean for those Vancouverites out there)....but most of all you can't help but notice the friendly, community-oriented, loving atmosphere.  People go to Connections for a conversation, or to have a playgroup, to meet a friend, or to meet a stranger...it's a gathering space in the truest sense.  After living in Christchurch - a city where the city center was destroyed by earthquakes 2-3 years ago - I realized the importance of somewhere where people can hang out and enjoy each other's company. Again, a simple idea yielding extraordinary results.  For more information about Connections (and to see a cool video that describes what they are about) see: http://connectionscoffee.ca/home/

I'm getting ready to start university again and this time I am feeling so positive and excited about it.  After having a refreshing and relaxing year off, it's time to return to the land of textbooks and notes and youth in all it's glory.  Haha.  I can't wait to see my friends and be absorbed by the incredible opportunity to spend all of my time learning.  What a privilege it is, to be able to attend university.  Every day I am so thankful for these opportunities.  I will try my best to keep you updated in the new year and to continue writing about my university experience and the wider journey of life.

Much love,
Emmy

No comments:

Post a Comment